Clean Up an Oil Spill
(from Environmental Health Hazards and Children by Sue Norwood) Objective: To have a better understanding of why oil spilled in water is so difficult to remove.
1. Shallow rectangular baking pan.
2. Cooking oil.
3. Cold water.
4. Baking soda, cotton balls, dish washing liquid, towels, and sponges.
1. Pour water into the pan so that it is half full.
2. Pour a small amount of oil into the water and notice the slick that form on the surface.
3.Try to clean the spill with the different cleaning materials.
4. Rate the effectiveness of the different materials